Rougemont Settler Trivia
Enjoy these interesting and, generally, little-known facts about the early (and more recent) days of living in Rougemont, gathered from church records and recollections of older residents.
- In 1852, an endowment fund was started by Reverend F. Robinson for St. Thomas Church, and by 1867, it contained $2,735, earning 6% interest per annum.
- In 1876, money was invested in an endowment fund for St. Thomas Church at 8% interest.
- Ladies first attended church meetings in 1879.
- In 1902 in Marieville, a major industry was the manufacture of felt and straw hats by the Guillette family.
- In 1909, electricity was first installed in St. Thomas Church.
- In 1939, Lorne Bachelder and Bruce Standish donated their time to repair the church at 15 cents per hour.
- The original church was built with no nails, only wooden pegs. Nails were used for the first time in 1940, when the exterior was rebuilt.
- Meals were served to the workmen by Edith Standish for 30 cents in 1940.
- The practice of pew rentals by the church (as a means of raising funds) was only abolished in 1942.
- In 1922, Daisy Standish was introduced by Angus Standish to Allan Eastwood, whom she married. Allan worked at Rougemont Green Houses, then owned by the Smith family.
- Bob Pollock nick-named the four Standish sisters (daughters of John E. Standish) Daisy, Pansy, Glenna and Hazel after flowers – thus, they became known as the flower sisters.
- Colin and Linda Standish (95 rang de la Montagne) are believed to be living in the oldest house of the English community in Rougemont. It was built in 1818.
- Sam Wardlaw was the secretary-treasurer of St. Thomas Church for nearly twelve years, from 1969 to 1981.
- For church suppers held in 1921, butter cost 21 cents per pound, bread was 10 cents per loaf, chickens cost $1.00, and 27 ½ pounds of ham cost $6.06.
- Food served at ladies’ meetings in 1916 was subject to regulations: “Plain tea will be given consisting of bread and rolls or biscuits, two kinds of cake, sauce and tea: if salad or cold meat is served, one kind of cake is sufficient; each member to pay 5 cents for her supper.”
- Rougemont’s first school was built sometime before 1830 on a piece of land donated by John Standish. The building was destroyed by fire in 1847.
- What were the daily activities of a young lady of 29 years in 1864? Rebecca Ashton wrote in her diary that a great deal of her time was spent weaving: “A web of 35 yards was put in for blankets, I spent the whole week making 5 blankets, we spun 24 yards of grey cloth and 30 yards of flannel.”
- Did you know Rougemont once had a toll road? Sias Bachelder and his wife, Harriet Hyde, operated an inn that served as a post-office and resting spot for changing of horses. Tolls were collected and carriages were equipped with either wheels or runners, depending on the weather.
- Trips to Montreal by horse and carriage (or stage-coach) involved two or three days in 1869; one day of travelling and a day or two of visiting.
- We have a note that says: “Uncle John got home from Upper Canada, spoke with excitement about the Fenians and bought a revolver from Mr. Fisk.”
- Maple syrup was made in 1864. “Tapping of trees began on March 29, and Uncle Joseph came to make buckets. Twenty-one pounds of sugar were made in one day, and 564 pounds were made for the season. The rest of the syrup was made into molasses.”
How about you? Got some Rougemont trivia to share? Send us an email and we may use it in a future issue.