Submitted by Marion Standish
This recipe was very popular in the John E. Standish family. Trillby’s were made by Pansy Standish Bockus (1890) for all the family. The origin of the name Trillby for the cookie is unknown, but it is listed in Google as a Swedish Date Cookie.
Date Cookies by Aunt Pansy: (Trillby Cookies)
- 2 cups oatmeal ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white flour ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup whole wheat flour ½ cup milk
- 1 cup brown sugar 2 tsp. baking powder
- Cream butter, sugar and shortening, add milk, then oatmeal and flour in which baking powder has been sifted
- Roll out very thin and cut in oblong pieces about 1 x 3 inches or in rounds with a cookie cutter.
- Bake in moderate oven, 350 degrees.
- When done, put together with filling.
- 1 lb. dates ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- Boil dates, brown sugar and water till soft